BIG C SPICE COMPANY RECIPES
“PINK’S” HOT LEMON & HERB BLEND
Pink’s Hot Lemon & Herb Blend is a blend of lemon, citron, Italian herbs, chives and peppers. It is excellent on all light meals, as an additive in vinegar based dressings and to season pasta dishes. Excellent as seasoning on fish, chicken, pork, lamb, prior to broiling or baking!
Easy Pasta Salad:
- 3 cups of your favorite cooked pasta
- ½ cup each of chopped red, yellow and green pepper
- 1 pkg. thawed frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon of Pink’s Hot Lemon & Herb Blend
- ¾ cup of your favorite vinegar (We use balsamic)
- ¼ cup extra light Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional) –gives a sweet and sour flavor
Cook, drain and rinse pasta. Julienne cut peppers, thaw frozen peas. Mix together herb blend, olive oil, and vinegar. Add pasta and peppers. Toss, refrigerate and marinate the mixture for 1 hour before serving. Keeps well! Omit oil for fat free dish.
“SISTER GREEBS” ITALIAN HERB BLEND
Sister Greeb’s is a classic blend of all Italian herbs with a dash of lemon, dried onion and garlic and some anise (just a hint). This one step herb and seasoning blend is excellent for all your Italian sauces and dishes. It even works well with in pasta salads, as an herb for poaching chicken or fish, and as an additive for butter sauce for pasta.
Easy Italian Tomato Sauce:
- 2 cans diced/crushed tomatoes
- 1 can Tomato Sauce (6oz.)
- 1 can Tomato Paste
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons Italian Herb Blend
Mix all ingredients together in a sauce pan. Simmer for 30 minutes over low heat and pour over cooked pasta.
Italian Herb Butter Sauce:
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon Italian Herb Blend
Simmer together and pour over cooked pasta or use to baste fish or chicken.
“CHEF DAD’S” SHAKER SEASONING
This general Seasoning Mix is from one handed down from my dad and his chef buddies over the years. I refined the ingredients over the years into a general excellent seasoning blend. Ingredients include lemon pepper, celery salt, paprika, cumin, white pepper, and a dash of cayenne pepper. I also use it as a “rub” for all of my baked or roasted meats – especially beef and pork. Excellent for ribs, brisket, and fresh ham when smoking or barbecuing! This is a general seasoning that can be used in vegetables as a “picker-upper” for flavor and as an ingredient for meat loaves, croquettes, breading and batter mixes.
Rock’s Rib-Rub is specially formulated for BBQ and Smoked meats. This is my “secret” rib rub seasoning handed down from an old Texas Chef. The base seasonings of cayenne pepper, lemon pepper, onion, oregano, and garlic are combined with some “surprising” herbs and other ingredients to make your pork, beef or wild game really taste wonderful. I first tasted this on smoked buffalo ribs and buffalo roast 30 years ago at a South Texas BBQ and Calf Rope Event.
Best Smoked Ribs:
- 5 lbs. of pork or beef ribs – trimmed of excess fat
- “Rock’s” Rib-Rub Seasoning – liberal amount – rub all over ribs
- Place Ribs in a pan
- 2 cans of Cold Lone Star Beer – pour (1) can over ribs – cover with foil in pan and let marinade long enough to drink the second Cold Lone Star Beer. Then place on BBQ Pit and smoke 4-6 hours or as you like until ribs are tender. Keep basting with beer and rib rub marinade during smoking process.
“SKINNER’S” AUS-TEX SALSA & TACO BLEND
Skinner’s is our award winning and the best quick Mexican seasoning blends ever devised. This blend of chili powder, dried onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, paprika, and other herbs is one of the quickest ways that I know to get that “Austin, Texas Mexican Food Flavor”. We use it in beans, rice, taco meat, pico-de-gallo and salsa.
“Skinner’s” Hot Salsa (Picante):
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 4 serrano peppers (stemmed, washed)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons “Skinner’s” Salsa Blend (depends on how spicy you like it)
In a blender place tomato sauce and stemmed peppers. Blend for 15 seconds on low speed. Placed blended mixture in bowl – add diced tomatoes (you can use fresh if you like) and 1 to 2 tablespoons of “Skinner’s” Hot Salsa Blend. Mix well and refrigerate. This is very “Picante”! If you want it milder add more diced tomatoes. Jalapeno peppers also work well in this mix.
“Skinner’s” Taco Meat:
- 2 lbs. lean Hamburger Meat – browned in a skillet
- 3 tablespoons of “skinner’s” Taco Blend
- 1 small can tomato sauce (optional)
Brown hamburger meat. To make it less fat – drain the fat from the browned hamburger meat. Add seasoning blend and simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes. A nice additive is tomato sauce if you like a more tomato tasting taco meat.
“COLE-MOTTS” CHILI SEASONING
Cole-Mott's Chili Seasoning is an award-winning chili blend that combines the perfect heat with robust flavor for meat, chili, rice and other Mexican dishes.
Cole-Mott's "Award-Winning" Chili Recipe:
- 1 lbs. lean Hamburger Meat (or Ground Turkey)
- 4 tablespoons of Cole-Mott’s Chili Seasoning (or a 2 oz. single packet)
- 1-1/2 cups diced onions
- 2 cups water
- 1-15oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1-15 oz can of pinto or ranch style beans (optional)
- Brown 1 lb. Lean Ground Beef and 1-1/2 c. diced onion over medium-high heat until fully cooked.
- Add one packet of Cole-Nott’s spice mix (or 4 tablespoons), stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add 2 c. water, stir, reduce heat to low.
- Stir in one 15 oz. can diced tomatoes. Continue to cook/simmer for 2 hours.
- Stir in one 15 oz. can of ranch-style or pinto beans, if desired (optional). Heat thoroughly, then serve.